Saturday, March 18, 2006

Eat Your Heart Out Newton

Fig Newton, that is. Long time readers of the Tangled Web will remember when I blogged about the bumper crop of figs from our tree last summer. In fact there were so many that we couldn't eat all of them fresh off the tree. I fired up our dehydrator and dehydrated the bulk of the harvest and immediately forgot that I had stowed them in the freezer. D'oh!

Until yesterday when I was rifling through the shelves looking for something else. So what can one do with a surplus of frozen dried figs? Why make homemade fig newtons of course! And these are so much better. The orange-scented filling is slightly sweet with a complex flavor from the port poaching liquid. And the crust has a slightly crunchy texture and a toasty, nutty flavor. I'll take one of these over the supermarket special any day. Click on for the recipe....

1 Comments:

Blogger edalicia said...

Are you going to bring some to the Frozen Four Finals for us to taste? We will return the favor with caramel tapioca pudding.

March 19, 2006 8:03 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home