Saturday, May 13, 2006

Pie Plant

One of the first chapters of Laura Ingalls Wilder's book, "The First Four Years" referred to a pie plant pie that the author forgot to sweeten and having never eaten it growing up, I never knew until much later that pie plant was in fact rhubarb, a harbinger of Spring and best friend of the lovely strawberry.

It was only a matter of time before this half-toxic vegetable earned a favored place in our seasonal rotation since I do so love me a good sweet-tart dessert. It was no wonder I was excited this morning when I spotted the first ruby red stalks peeking out of several stalls at the farmer's market. Given my phobia of homemade pastrymaking, I typically mix sliced rhubarb with strawberries and top it with an oatmeal streusel for a lovely crumble, but local strawberries are a few weeks from their peak so none made it into the basket today. I decided to throw caution to the winds and attempt homemade pastry again with a rustic crostata in mind. You know, it wasn't a terrible experience but I still won't make homemade pie crust a part of the regular rotation. My efforts have yielded two lovely tarts just waiting to be sliced for breakfast tomorrow. Click here for the recipe.

2 Comments:

Blogger edalicia said...

This reminds me of the Metzgers, our friends from Minneapolis. Lloyd will borrow our rototiller and will return it with Mindy's strawberry rhubard pie (with her grandma's recipe). Dad and I always look forward to this and the pie does not last long.

Raquel, I need to remind you that DHL (I have a discounted account now) can always deliver overnight ;-).

May 15, 2006 8:33 PM  
Blogger jae said...

this looks absolutely yummy...

May 18, 2006 11:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home