Thursday, June 02, 2005

On Italy...

We're back! I'm in the process of putting together a trip journal for those of you who want to know the gory details but in the meantime, here are ten things I learned while on holiday....

1. On Tuscany: There are A LOT of hills there.
2. On Italian Drivers: Nerves of steel? Crazy? All the above!
3. On Rome: Roman pizza is the best I've ever tasted. Now I haven't been to Naples yet so I can't say it's the best in the world.
4. On the Sistine Chapel: Magnificent but why did I feel like mooing during the viewing?
5. On Gelato: Il Gelato di San Crispino, enough said
6. On Italian Wine: Brunello truly is king but the red wine from Lazio was not too shabby
7. On Biking: I confirmed that I'm terrible on hills but I finally learned how to efficiently shift gears so I'm not so terrible. Still slow, but better.
8. On Speaking Italian: We learned enough to get directions, order meals, and get to the bathroom. I also learned that moletta means ponytail
9. On San Gimignano: From the haze and smell, I'm convinced they burn a huge pyre of incense every Sunday but we never found the cauldron. Plus they call it the Manhattan of Tuscany....partly because of the skyline and partly (we think) because the town merchants competed over who can build the highest tower.
10. On Tuscany: Did I mention that it was hilly?

Oh, one more thing...

11. On Vacation Knitting: I don't know how the rest of you do it but I never touched the project I packed along.

1 Comments:

Blogger shetha said...

I *loved loved loved* our tuscany visit, which at two weeks, was much too short. I really enjoyed Siena, Montalcino, The Prada outlet store (just outside of Florence) and the little town of Montevarchi where the vineyard we stayed at was located. Didn't get to bike but had a wonderful time... still dream of going back. Our (business) plan involves my husband renting M5s (aka miatas?) to tourists and me making soap and other toiletries from local olive oil for all the "agriturismo" vineyards... One day! We can dream, right?

June 07, 2005 4:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home