Ooey, gooey, goodness
Inspired by Steph's dulce de leche adventures a few months ago, I decided to try making some last weekend. I decided to use the crockpot, primarily because I thought it would lead to less water loss so I don't have to obsessively check the water levels (we are cooking the milk under pressure). I was right about the water levels and the end product? One word....YUM! Click on for your crockpot adventure....


4 Comments:
whoo hoo!
Dulce de leche :)
It's really tasty sandwiched between a pair of butter cookies....mmmm alfajores....
Hello Requel,
Where does the pressure come from? Does the liquid in the can have a different boiling point than the water outside the can? Sweetened condensed milk should have a lot higher boiling point than water. I will check my book to see if I have a coefficient of expansion for sugar solutions (if it expanses when heated it will generate pressure but the can is also expanding when heated) I will assume it is a steel can. Personally I don’t think there is any pressure. Will let you know.
Hello Requel,
Kathleen pointed out to me that there was air in the headspace of the can. Heating air (using ideal gas laws) will generate pressure. If you have atmospheric pressure in the can at room temperature, heating the can to 210 degrees F will generate about 4 psi.
Fred
Isn't that something?
This is what happen when a bunch of scientists get together. Great job Kathleen.
Yes, I'm still around and will be updating our blog after this.
Post a Comment
<< Home