The Puck Finally Drops
In addition to Nathan, knitting, and noshing, we really like hockey here at the Tangled Web and we were pretty happy to see the return of the NHL yesterday. Moreso when both the Red Wings (Chad's team) and the Canucks (my team) both posted opening night victories.
What was surprising to us was the amount of movement than has taken place. "Oh, he's with THEM now?" was a common refrain. We also got a look at the new rules.
My thoughts on them? In no particular order:
1. Shoot Outs: Hate them, hate them, hate them. I hate them more than ties. But then I love watching plays unfold like stories and shootouts to me take all the teamwork and the beauty of the passing game out of the picture. This may be a plus to the more casual fans but I say ditch them.
2. Getting Rid of the Red Line: This is the best rule change out there! Open up the neutral zone and kick the offense up a notch. End result...faster pace and more exciting; much like the college game.
3. Bigger Offensive Zone: I like it. It's kind of like playing on Olympic ice and showcases the great skaters and hopefully will hamper the ugly clutch & grab hockey we've been seeing lately.
4. Goaltender Equipment: Neutral. I really don't care one way or the other. Obviously, something had to be done with goalie pads the size of China but I don't really get why so many people are so up in arms about this one.
5. Obstruction: Yeah right. I'll believe this one when I see it. Past history predicts future behavior so while the officials are calling this now, they'll be back to blind by December.
6. The Rest (Icing, Instigators, & Unsportsmanlike Conduct): Don't really care with these.
So that's my take on the changes after opening night. Agree, disagree, or agree to disagree? This is shaping up to be a fun season.


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home