Forbidden Fruit
I've never been a huge fan of eating apples out of hand....especially Red or Golden Delicious since most of the ones I've tried have been mealy and meh. Apple desserts are another story. I love me a good slice of apple pie or a scoop of apple crisp. Something about the cooking process turns an OK fruit into something magical. Until this fall...I've discovered the world of heirloom apples. Apples that Johnny Appleseed sowed to make crisp apple cider and to fill the fall larders of colonial families. Tart, crisp, and not a mealy one in the bunch. I've been having a lot of fun choosing blushing red Cox Pippens and gorgeous green French Reines at the farmer's market. This is the first time I've ever eaten apples out of hand and truly enjoyed the experience. Of course, apple desserts are still my first love. This delectable bunch morphed into light and flaky apple turnovers. Click here for the recipe.


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home