Sunday, July 23, 2006

Berry Days



It's not even funny how many berries we've managed to consume this summer now that we have a toddler who is likely to eat a full pint in one sitting. Yes, berries must now be kept out of reach in the refrigerator now that the little guy has figured out how to open the door. From his weekly berry croissant to his tendency to move from stall to stall at the Farmer's Market *sampling* the wares, it's no wonder how excited he was when we told him that we were going straight to the source to get our berries this week. We hauled the wagon and weeks of saved pint boxes up to Smith Berry Barn for red and gold raspberries, blackberries, and boysenberries and came away with a few berries. And despite giving Nathan his very own pint box to fill, his net take was zero. I'm pretty sure I saw his box more than half full on more than one occasion. I was planning to freeze some but who am I kidding? They'll be gone within a week at the rate we're going. I managed to divert a pound of berries to a luscious Mixed Berry Crisp that we enjoyed with vanilla ice cream.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yummy - when we went to Davis' Farmer's Market, I consumed a pint (unwashed with Dad crinching)! How about a picture of the "berry bandit" and the head mover?

July 24, 2006 9:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home