Monday, January 29, 2007

Lucky Seven

I always liked the idea of seven layer bars. I mean coconut, chocolate, pecans, sweetened condensed milk...what's not to like? Unfortunately, all versions I've tasted to date have just been mind-numbingly sweet, so far from the ideal in my head that I've never bothered to make it myself. Until I read the recipe in Baking Illustrated. They claimed they created the ultimate bar which balanced the flavor of all the components with just the right amount of sweetness and did not turn out an overly sweet product. Hmmm.....since the whole premise of this book is to take thousands of recipes and years of research to turn out the perfect specimen, it couldn't hurt to try. I made one change by cutting out the butterscotch morsels since I don't particularly care for them and added more dark chocolate. Maybe the butterscotch is the root of all that sweetness since what I ended up with was just what the book described. Click here for the recipe.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home