Wednesday, July 13, 2005

Meme Me Up, Steph

I've been tagged for meme-dom. Thanks Steph! I've read these on other blogs and I must say this one is right up my alley. So without further ado, here are my answers (which would have been published yesterday if not for the wicked sinus infection that struck that is still bugging me today):

What is your first memory of baking/cooking on your own?
It would have to be learning how to make a sunny-side up fried egg when I was 6 or 7. Shortly after that I received a kid's cookbook and progressed to chocolate mousse and the best non-marshmallow rice krispie treats ever.

Who had the most influence on your cooking?
First & foremost? Mom. She started teaching me at a very early age and encouraged all my experiments in the culinary arts. Then my uncontrollable desire to read everything had me reading cookbooks cover to cover and picking up tips and ideas along the way. Julia Child's dancing chickens turned me on to the world of celebrity chefdom and the rest is history.

Do you have an old photo as evidence of an early exposure to the culinary world and would you like to share it?
Not in my posession though my parents have pictures of me putting my hand through my first birthday cake, *eating* plastic BBQ, and mixing a potion of some sort...

Mageiricophobia - do you suffer from any cooking phobia, a dish that makes your palms sweat?
Pie crust. Can't make it to save my life. I buy Pillsbury crust from the supermarket if I ever have to make a pie or quiche or turnovers.

What would be your most valued or used kitchen gadgets and/or what was the biggest letdown?
My Globals. Can't live without them and Sur La Table finally has someone who can sharpen most of them (I'm still working on a source for my single bevel Santoku). A well-sharpened knife is a cook's best friend. The biggest letdown? Probably my All Clad Petite Braiser...it's not quite big enough.

Name some funny or weird food combinations/dishes you really like - and probably no one else!
The aforementioned fried egg with sliced hot dogs and ketchup all mixed together over toast.

What are the three eatables or dishes you simply don't want to live without?
Hmm....a crusty loaf of artisan bread, cheese, and sushi (pregnancy was excruciating w/o sushi! Chad said I needed to find a Japanese OB)

My favorite ice-cream:…
Coffee w/ Dark Chocolate Chunks

I will probably never eat:
Fugu. Something about entrusting your life to the strange chef behind the counter.

My own signature dish:…
Blueberry Cheesecake Bars.....created by yours truly when we saw then lost a recipe in the BC Enquirer. This was my rendition. Recipe coming later this summer!

Meme 3 more people:
Amy of Knitting and Sushi, Chris of The Crafting Kingdom, and Mom!

2 Comments:

Blogger edalicia said...

Aah... Comfort food. Hotdogs, fried eggs, ketchup on pan de sal; carne norte (corned beef for the uninitiated), fried egg (again!), fried rice, and patis; boiled chicken and rice; need I say more. I still brag about your blueberry cheesecake and risotto to whoever will listen.

Do I answer the same questions?

Mom

July 13, 2005 2:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

AHHHH! I've been meme'd- check out my answers this weekend!

xxo
a

July 15, 2005 8:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home